Mission and Vision Statements
MEI's charitable purposes:
- To advance the education of the public in the field of mathematics.
- To promote links between education and industry in mathematics.
MEI exists to improve education in mathematics.
To achieve this, MEI:
- deploys innovative approaches
- works in collaboration with others
- uses its expertise to inform policy makers and stakeholders
Make a real difference to people's lives by improving the quality of mathematics education and learning.
As an organisation we have strongly held values. These are that:
Mathematics education principles
- we believe that mathematics education should enable students to appreciate both the beauty and the utility of mathematics, and to enjoy learning it;
- we seek to promote mathematical thinking by presenting the connections within mathematics; by highlighting its applications across other areas, in a variety of contexts, and by providing resources that encourage deep mathematical learning;
- we support teachers' professional development by working to achieve an effective balance between subject knowledge and pedagogy, with a strong emphasis on supporting teachers to embed new ideas in their teaching and evaluate their impact;
Partnerships and Respect
- we actively seek to work with others, including key stakeholders, to improve mathematics education;
- we work by influencing and persuading. We do not impose our views on anyone. We gather evidence and make a case;
Equality of access
- we believe in equality of access. We work to achieve this in a variety of ways, including removing barriers to mathematics education;
- we work to ensure access to appropriate mathematics education relevant to the abilities and aspirations of all students;
Quality and Innovation
- we strive to ensure that all aspects of our work are of the highest standard, meeting or exceeding the expectations of our stakeholders or customers; and
- we work in innovative ways and design innovative materials and delivery methods.